7 Easy, Fun & Cute DIY VALENTINE’S DAY CARDS
The month of sweet hearts, flowers, chocolates, gifts and an anticipated exchange of handwritten notes and decorative cards that are sent with so much thought and love.
Last year, when my blog was only 2 months in, I had made series of DIY Valentine’s Day gifts, which till this date is my most viewed blog post. If you would like to fancy a visit for more Valentine’s Day ideas, feel free to click here – Part 1, Part 2.
This year I thought I would introduce some FUN, EASY and very INEXPENSIVE DIY Valentine’s Day Cards that require MINIMAL materials and minimal artistic abilities. I am all in for the handmade gifts (no surprise there.) No matter how small, it always means a lot more to me when someone has put in that much extra thought, love, and care into something that means so special to them, despite of their execution. So, even if you feel like you could never execute something well that is handmade, remember that it is the thought and effort that counts.
Let’s jump right into it then!
All you need is:
- Watercolor paper
- Paint brush
- Watercolor Palette
- Bowl for water and a tissue
- Pencil with eraser
DIY VALENTINE’S Day CARDS
1) Elegant, clean and simple that could really work great framed as well. I only used markers for this particular one.
2) So Valentine! Simply draw out the box first and fill them with as many hearts as you want. I painted the box and went with markers for the hearts.
3) I could not showcase some ideas without having some funny and quirky ones as well! The classic Pb & J- could never go wrong with that. Everything on this card is painted.
4) Annnd some more hearts! It’s the month of affection after all. Pour your special someone some LOVE. I did paint the glass and bottle but all of this could very well be done with only markers.
5) This one is so much fun to do and you can bring out a lot of your personality through colors.
To achieve this effect with watercolors, you need to first lightly draw out your heart with pencil. Using a round brush, dip it in your water bowl and trace the entire heart with only water.
Now comes the fun part – choose the color of your liking and simply drop that color into you watered heart. You will notice an exploding, spreading effect of the paint.
Merge in your colors one by one, feel free to overlap them as well. Just remember to rinse out your brush in your water every time you get a new color to prevent getting tons of brown. You will have very little control over this method which is the best part of it all! Just have fun with it!
Also, to achieve that splattering look around your heart, take your brush (preferably a rough brush) and dip it in a good amount of paint and water. Flicker off the ends of the brush like you would do with a toothbrush. Keep changing directions to make sure it splatters everywhere evenly.
6) Another very minimal, simple and quirky card. Markers or fine tip pens would do just fine.
7) Last but not least, and one of my faves is ‘you are my cup of tea card.’ Everything on here is painted. This would also look really cool framed.
Well, there you have it! I really hope you all enjoyed these as much as I did making them! Which one did you like the best, if any!?? Also, what are you guys doing for this Valentine’s, regarding gifts/cards – are you planning on doing something handmade!??? Spill your secrets!
Psst..Let’s be social!